Monday, October 22, 2012

The Traveler's Curse


Fall is my favorite season. I love the bright, fiery red, orange, and yellow colors, the crisp, fresh smell of the falling leaves, and wearing cute sweaters and scarves. The arrival of fall also means we’re getting into the holiday season – and I LOVE the holidays. 

I enjoy a lot about the village of Mende – I am very grateful to be here and have the opportunity to better my French and appreciate French culture, but I really miss this time of year back home! The Mende mountains are high and gorgeous, but the colors of the leaves just aren’t as bright. I will be on vacation during Halloween (I know, sad thing to complain about, right?), Thanksgiving is strictly an American holiday, and the French don’t put out Christmas decorations until about a week before Christmas. 

Mende Mountains
Fall colors in my backyard in Arkansas
My sister was talking to me last week about “The Traveler’s Curse”… she explained it as the more places you travel to, the less you will be completely satisfied in a new places, because in each of the places you've been there will be at least one thing or person that you miss. The holiday season is something I definitely miss in the United States. Since I have travelled a lot, and lived in many different cities, I am always missing family and friends and cultural aspects of each city/country no matter where I am. 

Here are some things I miss from different places:

The United States (in general): having a washer/dryer in the house, holidays, family & friends, and being able to eat any type of food whenever you get the whim…craving sushi now!

Arkansas: my parents & my brother, friends, driving on the empty, open road, fall colors & nature…Being away from Arkansas has been particularly hard lately, since one of my best friends just got married and another best friend is due to have her first baby in just another week!

Friends & Family in Arkansas
Los Angeles: my aunt, uncle, & cousin, everything’s open late, knowing the ocean is close, the weather!! 
California family
 North Carolina: friends, the fall colors, the Halloween party my roommate & I had!

The food preparations for our Halloween party

Ireland: the greenery and the awesome castles, live music in the pubs, and renting bikes and riding around huge public parks.

Ireland - huge castle in the middle of a beautiful park

Spain: tapas!!!!! Going out with friends for beer/wine & snacks (tapas/pinchos) around 5pm, since dinner in Spain doesn’t start until around 10pm!

France: the Mediterranean Sea! Hopefully I will be going back in another week for the first week of Fall vacation! French food… everything is so fresh and local. We have NOTHING like the flavorful French cheeses and a crisp French baguette in the States. Use of pesticides and preservatives is limited here. The history and the language! I love, love, love the way your mind just opens up and has to work in a whole new way when you are immersed in a different language. This is what I miss the most when I return to the United States. 

Nice, at the Mediterranean Sea
Israel: my sister, the pita bread falafel sandwiches, floating in the Dead Sea, imagining what has passed on that land!

Israel landscape
Now, as far as curses go, The Traveler’s Curse is probably the best one to have! I am able to experience different cultures and go on adventures most people just dream about! However, the downside is that there’s always something and somebody I’m missing. I have a lot of homes and no home at the same time. It can be frustrating, but I wouldn’t exchange my experiences and memories for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment