Monday, October 8, 2012

Lyons, Tigers, and Students… Oh my!


Last weekend I went to Lyon and Annecy. I arrived in Lyon Thursday night, and experienced couchsurfing for the first time. I stayed with a woman named Laura, who was very nice. Friday I got up early and Laura pointed me in the direction of the Tourism Office, where I picked up a map of the city. I was feeling pretty energetic, so I decided to hike up to the Basilique Notre-Dame (instead of taking the funiculaire). On my way, I walked through an open-air market, where I bought some freshly picked strawberries. They were smaller and sweeter than the strawberries you buy in the grocery store!  I hiked up a kind of sketchy street and then through a pretty park to get to the Basilique. It was interesting, and there was an okay view of the city, but since it was still fairly cloudy early in the morning, the view wasn’t what I’m told it is when it’s clear. 

yummy strawberries!
By the time I’d finished my hike, I was getting pretty hungry. The school’s janitor had told me that I had to visit the Parc de la Tête d’Or, so I decided to pick up a baguette and some fromage and have a picnic in the park. Unfortunately, I got quite lost on my descent from the Basilique, but I eventually found my way down. I followed on with my picnic plans, and oh my goodness – the janitor was so right! The Park was spectacular. It is huge, with greenhouses, a lake, walking trails, beautiful flowers, and…a zoo! And it’s all free! I walked over to the lake to have my picnic and read awhile on my kindle; by then, it was warm and sunny outside. Perfect! After resting awhile, I explored the park. I saw lions, giraffes, an alligator, zebras, elephants and more! It was incredible that the park offered all this at no cost! I took a walk through the greenhouses as well before heading back towards Laura’s apartment. 

Entrance to the Parc de la Tête d'Or
The park was beautiful and incredible, but it also made me feel homesick. I wished I could share it with my friends and family. I decided to stop at the Galleries Lafayette, a huge mall, to cure my homesickness. Malls are pretty much the same no matter where you are, so it was just the cure!
That night, I went out dancing with Laura and two of her friends. It was fun! The next morning Laura and I walked back to the Park and had ice creams. I love, love, love French caramel ice cream! 

Zoo in the Park!
Later, I headed to Annecy with a friend of Laura’s. Annecy is a small old-fashioned village that neighbors Switzerland. First, we walked around the lake, and then around the old village. Next, we drove up to an amazing viewpoint. It was absolutely breathtaking. Probably the most beautiful sight I’ve had the privilege to view. After, we picked up salad, chicken, a baguette, and wine to feast in his Annecy apartment. That evening, we went with a couple of his friends to a nightclub in Geneva. It was fun, but clubs are clubs…it was pretty much the same as the clubs I’ve been to in L.A.

Annecy - kind of a mini Venice
Annecy -- see the mountains in the distance!
Look at that view!!!!
Yesterday, Sunday, I returned to Lyon by train. I have to admit that every time I take a train, a part of me wishes I were headed to Hogwarts! Then I rode home with Odile, the English teacher who had brought me to Lyon. My co-workers here have been really, really great. I feel very blessed to be in such a welcoming school. 

Today I had my first real classes, where I wasn’t just introducing myself, but actually working with the students on their English. Monday is my long day, but the classes went pretty well. For some of them, I took half the class and had them do a two-minute monologue about their idea of the “American dream”. For other classes, I took only two students at a time, and they had to talk (as a team) about a radio emission they had listened to in class. In general, the students seem nice and fairly respectful and try hard, although there is one high school class composed mainly of boys that is very noisy! 
 
After class, I went over to Odile’s house and had a cup of tea with her. I have adopted the habit of having tea every day. Another English teacher, Anne-Claire, gave me an electric kettle so that I can also make tea in my dorm room. :) When I returned to the school, Anja, the German assistant, and I went to dinner in the cantine together. Tomorrow, she and I head to Montpellier for a meeting/training day for all the foreign assistants. All in all, things are going great! I am, however, beginning to really miss the folks at home! So write to me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment