Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fall Break 2012


I just got back from three weeks of travelling Europe. I was able to explore parts of France, Germany, and England. At times I could not believe that I was really so lucky! Other times I became homesick from the chance to spend time with American friends. Overall, it was an experience that I will forever cherish. 

Castle in Fussen, Germany
The biggest surprise that I received was how much I enjoyed Germany. The Germans are the friendliest, nicest people of any country I’ve visited, and German architecture is beautiful. I did not have any real desire to visit Germany in particular, and the way it came about was quite funny! My friend Robby from the US was supposed to go to Egypt for his vacation, but with the current political unrest and anti-American sentiment there, he thought twice about that. However, he had already bought his plane ticket. He was supposed to have a layover in Frankfurt, Germany, and so I told him I’d meet him in Germany and we could explore that country together! It was very lucky that our vacation times collided. He was coming during my second week of vacation, so I had to figure out what I wanted to do the first week, since the school dorms where I live close during the vacation period. 
Heidelberg, Germany

Anja, the German assistant, and I were talking about what we were going to do during vacation, and she mentioned that she and Gabrielle, the German teacher, were going to rent an apartment in Agde, a small seaside city, for the first week. This sounded nice and relaxing to me, so I joined them! We stayed in the Grau d’Agde, in an apartment only a five minute walk from the pier and the beach. Unfortunately, it was too chilly to sunbathe or swim, but it was beautiful. Anja and I rose early one morning to watch the sunrise, which was so spectacular that no picture could capture its beauty.  We also took a day trip to Carcassonne during our time in Agde. The ancient city was quite a sight, but not really worth the trip. I would not recommend it to future tourists in France. I would, however, definitely recommend visiting the Mediterranean (especially in warm weather!). 

Pier at the Grau d'Agde
Sunrise over the Mediterranean Sea
Carcassonne, France
After a week in Agde, I headed to Beziers to visit the French family of some US friends. The family was very kind, and I came at the right time as they had a party with champagne and caviar to celebrate one of the cousins receiving a medal at work! I was happy to be able to celebrate with them!

Celebration in Beziers
Next, I headed to Paris for a brief visit to my French host family. I taught my host sister, Constance, how to make chocolate chip cookies, and then took a tour of some touristy areas – Notre Dame and the Jardin des Tuilleries, where I took the opportunity to write some postcards. 

Paris, beautiful as ever
After two days in Paris, I took a train to Frankfurt. It was so great to get to visit with my friend Robby. We rented a car, which turned out being wayyyyyy more expensive than we planned, but it was nice to travel by car instead of public transportation for a change! Germany was absolutely lovely. I think it is my second favorite country (not including the US) to Ireland, but almost a tie! Whenever Robby and I would look confused, someone would always approach us to help give us directions! I was very impressed with the kindness of the Germans.  We also had the opportunity to stay with a German family. Robby went to high school with a German girl, so we stayed with her parents near Stuttgart, and her in Heidelberg.  They were all so kind, and I also got to learn about how many Germans still feel terrible about causing WWII, even if they were not even born before the war ended. I do not think it is the fault of anyone living, just as slavery is not the fault of anyone who simply happens to live in the South of the US today, but it is also good to remember past mistakes of the country. 

Inside of a German palace
We were able to visit many castles and cathedrals, an old medieval prison, the Nuremberg concentration camp memorial, the Porsche and Mercedes-Benz museums, and eat at many authentic German restaurants. I love German “bretzels” which are super yummy soft pretzels. The Germans do soft pretzels like the French do baguettes!

Robby and me in front of a German castle in Fussen
 I was originally supposed to return to Mende on November 14, to teach a class the next day, but the class was canceled, so my vacation time was extended to three whole weeks! I took this lucky break to visit England. Austin, a friend from high school, is in the Air Force in England. He lives in Bury-St. Edmunds, and had been asking me to visit since I am interested in joining the Air Force. When he picked me up from the airport, he told me I was going to the wrong side of the car. I stared at him in surprise, thinking he wanted me to drive. Not at all – I had forgotten that the British drive on the left side of the road, and therefore the driver’s seat is on the right-hand side of the car! It was a bit scary at first, seeing the headlights coming from the “wrong” direction. I had just gotten used to it when I had to leave! While I was in England, Austin showed me around the base, and I got to talk to many currently enlisted members. I am sure they got tired of all my questions, but it was a very educational experience for me! We also spent a day seeing all the sights in London. When I told my French class about how the British had put up a sign for Platform 9 ¾ for Harry Potter fans, they thought it was absolutely crazy. I, however, am quite proud of my picture on my way to Hogwarts! 

Going to Hogwarts!
Guards in front of Buckingham Palace
Typical London weather
Yesterday, it was back to work for me! However, not for too long…Wednesday evening I am heading back to the Mediterranean, to spend Thanksgiving with some of the other assistants in the area. We will have baguettes, cheese, crepes, wine, chocolate, and maybe sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce (if we can find that stuff here!). Not exactly the same, but I’m sure it will be super enjoyable, and I am very excited to get to spend the holiday with fellow assistants!

1 comment:

  1. Soooo glad you loved Germany! I love it too. I also find German people really friendly and helpful, but I didn't know if maybe I'm just biased because I have a German friend and so her family/friends have become my family/friends. It's good to know that Germans are that lovely even if you're on your own! Love how much you got to travel! And you probably passed through Narbonne on your way from Agde to Carcassonne - too bad I wasn't here!

    ReplyDelete