Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Once in Paris...

Before heading down to Mende, where my school is located, I will spend a week in Paris. Since I spent a semester in Paris in 2009, went back for a week in 2010, and visited recently, April 2012, I have visited many sites. I have been thinking about what I want to see or revisit on this vacation.


Bercy Village was built as an urban-renewal project in the 12th arrondissement of Paris. The cute village shops and restaurants were converted into their current form from renovated wine warehouses of the 19th century.  The village is open from 11 AM – 9 PM.  *My family and I visited Bercy Village and Parc de Bercy (below) this past Spring. It was quite picturesque. My sister requested that I revisit these sites and take pictures for her!

Parc de Bercy, located near the Seine, was previously a wine hub. In the 1990s, the park was created along with Bercy Village in order to draw more business to the previous poorer eastern side of Paris. There is now a small vineyard in part of the park to preserve the history of the area. The park has beautiful gardens and walking trails, a sports stadium, artistic statues, and ponds.

The Château de Versailles was Louis XIII’s hunting lodge before it became the heart of the French government in 1682. It remained the center of the government until 1789, after the beginning of the French Revolution when the royal family was forced to return to the capital. Versailles is known as a symbol of the absolute monarchy and extravagance of the Ancien Regime and a prime example of classical French architecture. The gardens include an intricate plan of flowerbeds, fountains, sculptures and the Grand Canal. *This is my favorite place I've ever been. When I walk along the garden paths along the Grand Canal, I feel magically transported to another age.

The Château de Fontainebleau was a royal residence for eight centuries, beginning in the Mediaeval Era and continuing into the Second Empire. The palace includes three galleries, a theatre, and three chapels. The courtyards and gardens of the palace are extensive and grand, and include the Grand Parterre, the largest formal garden in Europe. *I have never been here, but I hear it leaves you with an experience similar to Versailles.

Tour Montparnasse is a Parisian skyscraper – 689 feet tall! The 56th floor has a panoramic view of Paris, and is a great place to visit to get awesome pictures of the Eiffel Tower from up high. The 56th floor also has a gift shop and café, so you can enjoy a snack or glass of wine while admiring the view. *This is one of my Mom's favorite tourist sites. It was, however, closed for renovation while we were there in the spring, so hopefully it will be open now!

The Bois de Boulogne is a huge park along the 16th arrondissement, which was once used as royal hunting grounds. It covers 2,090 acres – 2.5 times bigger than New York’s Central Park. The park now has wide walking and bike paths, horse-riding trails, lakes, gardens, and secluded, woodsy areas. *This park is really big! Returning to it several times, if you take different metro exits, it seems like a completely different place!

Do you have any favorite places to visit around Paris?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will be in Paris Sept. 20-26... Let me know if you're there then too and we can visit some sites together!

      Delete