Thursday, August 30, 2012

A few of my favorite things... (Paris edition)


   1.      The language – French is such a beautiful language, and I feel transported to another world when I speak it. I started taking French in college, and it was not easy for me. Spanish was my language choice in high school, and although it has its difficulties as well (I cannot for the life of me roll my “r”s!!), perfecting French pronunciation and achieving the accent seemed near impossible. However, by the end of my semester in Paris, my accent was actually pretty dang good. Although the pronunciation still gets me, I at least don’t sound like an American when I speak … I am thrilled to be returning to France in three weeks, and I am sure my language skills will improve immensely over the next eight months! 

   2.       The art – Goodness, where do I start? Not only does Paris house some of the world’s most beautiful and famous works of art in its many museums (the Louvre, Musée d’Orsay, and  Musée Marmottan Monet being some of the most popular), but right outside of Paris, one can also visit Monet’s gardens, the actual real-life inspiration for his awe-inspiring impressionist works, and the Palace of Versailles’ amazing architecture and landscaping.

Monet's Gardens - Giverny

Versailles Palace & Fountains
   
   3.       The history – I have spoken a bit about Parisian history in past blog posts. Living in a fairly new country, it is an incredible difference to feel the powerful history of Paris beneath your feet through the cobblestone streets.

Walking on cobblestones
   
    4.       The sites – Everything that is available for you to do in Paris is incredible. Whether it’s picnicking on the lawn beneath the Eiffel Tower, visiting the Louvre, climbing Notre Dame, or walking down the Champs Elysees, Paris is a tourists dream.  I was surprised to learn that my French host sister, Constance, had never experienced some of these touristy trips until we became friends. She too, a Parisian, was awed by a day of playing tourist in her home city!

The imposing Notre Dame
   
   5.       The food – Other expats talk about certain foods they miss from the US while abroad (typically peanut butter and real hamburgers are key culprits), but I did not miss American food at all while abroad! Everything in France is so fresh. Parisians buy only enough groceries for a couple days at a time. They shop at individualized markets, not Walmart. Granted, there are a few supermarchés, but outdoor market stands can be seen all over as well. Everything seems to be made with the highest quality of produce available.  My host dad, Ivan, did all the cooking for our family, and every night we would start with some sort of salad and then move on to the delicious main course that he had spent the last hour or two preparing. Also on the table were his homemade baguettes – made usually during the weekend and then doled out during the week.  

My host family (Gladys, Constance, and Ivan) getting ready for dinner in their Parisian apartment in the Marais.

No comments:

Post a Comment